OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT RULES
The registration cost for each team is $95 if registered until August 2nd. Insanely late sign up until August 5th for $150, people asked for it, so we are offering this option!
Entry fees are refundable only prior to the registration deadline above.
After the late registration deadline, entry fees become non-refundable.
- Divisions & Placement
- Game Time
- Fouls & Violations
- Free Throw Situations
- Unforeseen Circumstances
1. Each team must have a minimum of 4 players on the roster, max of 6 on check in roster.
2. No coaches are allowed on the sidelines or in huddles on the court or inside the fences on the upper courts.
3. No one but registered players are allowed in or around the courts on the tennis courts.
4. Players may only appear on one roster within the same division.
a) A player may appear on more than one roster as long as they are not in the same division.
b) Any scheduling conflicts that result for players appearing on more than one roster are not the responsibility of M3B Tournament officials and may result in loss of playing time or game forfeit if the
1. Each team member’s age must fall within the grade/age division.
a) Player’s grade will be the one he or she will be in the fall of 2019.
b) Should any team member cross the grade/age division, the entire team will automatically be placed to play in the older division.
2. Proper identification is required.
a) We reserve the right to verify any player grade. Intentionally providing inaccurate information is grounds for disqualification of an entire team.
b) Each player is encouraged to carry personal report card with for the most recently completed school term and ID, preferably a valid driver’s license for 16 yrs. of age and older.
c) Players under 16 must have a copy of a birth certificate or a school id.
d) M3B Tournament officials reserve the right to make all judgments on this matter.
e) All decisions of M3B Tournament officials are final.
3. Any mixed gender teams will be required to play in the Boys Division.
4. Divisions and available team slots:
a) 6th/7th Grades – Boys (mixed gender)
b) 6th/7th Grades – Girls if enough teams available, if not girls play with boys
c) 8th-9th Grades – Boys (mixed gender)
d) 8th/9th Grades – Girls if enough teams available, if not girls play with boys
e) 10th/11th Grades – Boys (mixed gender)
f) 10th/11th Grades – Girls if enough teams available, if not girls play with boys
g) 12th/2016 Graduates – Boys (mixed gender)
h) 12th/2016 Graduates – Girls if enough teams available, if not girls play with boys
i) Adult OPEN – (mixed gender)
j) Adult Over 39 – (mixed gender)
5. In the event a low number of teams enter in a given bracket, M3B Tournament officials reserve the right to merge junior brackets with one age group higher.
Teams must be ready to play up to 10 minutes prior to assigned start time for all games.
- Any team that is not ready to play within 5 minutes from the scheduled start time is considered to have forfeited the game. Forfeit score is 16-0.
- Exceptions to forfeit time will only be permitted in the event that a team was still playing in another M3B tournament game.
- There is a 20 minute time limit. In the event the score is tied, the game will continue until and the first team to score wins the game.
Two (2) 30 second timeouts are allowed per game (if time permits).
Substitutions may be made only during dead ball and time-out situations. Players are not required to check in with the referee to make substitutions.
Games first possession will be determined by a coin flip.
Jump ball will go to the defense.
Top, sides and bottom of backboard are in-bounds.
Baseline, sidelines and mid court are out-of-bounds.
Any possession must be passed in from the top of the court with ball being checked by the defense.
After a score, the ball must
- (1) change possession, and
- (2) be checked by defense before play begins.
On every change of possession the ball must be taken back beyond the 2 point line, both feet, NO EXCEPTION.
- If a take-back violation occurs, the defensive team will receive the ball up top.
All fouls and violations are called by referees for all divisions.
The referees or tournament officials’ calls are final.
- Only questions about rule interpretations may require clarification by M3B Tournament Court Leaders.
- Disputes and matters not addressed or clarified in this rules summary will be settled by applying standard Michigan High School rules.
Officials may call a technical foul due to improper behavior, intentional fouling, improper hanging on the rim or any dangerous play.
- A technical foul will result in a free throw followed by possession of the ball by the opponent of the team/player being charged the foul.
- Players can be asked to sit out by officials, or M3B court monitors at anytime.
- Teams can be forfeit games or be removed totally for dangerous play or improper behavior by M3B Tournament Leaders.
A free throw is awarded:
- On and after the 7th team foul, shoot one free throw.
- When a foul is committed during the act of shooting.
If a foul is committed during the act of shooting and the shot is missed:
- One free throw is awarded for 1 point attempts and two free throws for 2 point attempts.
If a foul is committed during the act of shooting and the shot is made:
- The scoring team is awarded the point(s) and no free throws will be taken unless they are in the bonus.
If a free throw is missed:
- The ball must be taken back behind the two point line by the rebounding team. (Two feet behind the line.)
Games may be decided at the foul line. All calls are made by M3B officials or by teams themselves and free throws will be played as outlined above.
1 point for every basket scored inside the 2 point line.
2 points for every basket scored outside the 2 point line.
1 point scored for each free throw made.
Winning the game:
- Regular Scoring: up to 21 (win by 2) or up to 25 (win by 1)
- Consolation Game Scoring: up to 15 (win by 2) or up to 21 (win by 1)
- Special Note: Second Chance Bracket will use regular scoring
IN THE EVENT OF IMPROPER CONDUCT BY PLAYERS OR SPECTATORS
M3B Tournament officials, M3B Court Monitors and reserve the right to:
- Call an intentional foul, and the offended team receives one free throw and possession.
- Call a flagrant foul, and the offended team receives one free throw and possession.
- Have a player sit out for a period of time the official or monitor determines.
- Eject offending player or team for the game and if need be, for the rest of the tournament.
- Stop the game for a period of time, for any reason.
- Stop the game completely with one or both teams being thrown out of the tournament.
- Parents and/or spectators may be asked to leave the premises for improper conduct.
- Law enforcement monitors all games and typically at most games, At times they have helped with calming people down and at rare times, removed offending players, teams and spectators. Safety and have fun will always be our priority.
We reserve the right to reduce the number of rescheduled games or shorten games, due to unforeseen circumstances such as foul weather, power interruptions, the determination of local officials, etc.
In the event of such circumstances, M3B Tournament officials may elect to take a break in the action for a short period of time, reduce length of games, or change to a single elimination tournament (where applicable).
At check in, please give a text/phone number that will be monitored at all times during your game times so we can communicate changes, get you to come to courts and provide weather updates.